I've been thinking The art of layering

First, I have to apologise for my lack of blogging over the past few days. It's surprising how out of the loop you can feel after only being away for a short while. I get in from work I'm a bit unsure as to how much time I'll have to blog. It's also surprising how early it's getting dark at the moment, and I'm starting to wonder how on earth I'm going to get outfit posts done in the dead of winter. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

Some of you will know that I've gone ahead and ordered 
THE boots. I really can't wait to get my hands on them: they're stunning in the flesh (or leather?) and such a classic, so a worthwhile investment if I ever saw one. I'm also thinking about changing the name of my blog, but only ever so slightly, to something I'm a little keener on. What do you guys think? 

Anyway, I've just eaten my bodyweight in pizza, so I'm off to nurse my food baby with Tony and a film. Hope you're all having lovely evenings. 


It’s that time of year yet again. Greeting September means the end of summer (or what we had of it, anyway), days will soon start to get noticeably shorter and the weather will soon become so miserable, we’ll be begging for summer all over again (well, you know, ‘summer’). This time of year also poses the difficult question of what to wear, as we’re flung into between-season sartorial chaos; too chilly for bare legs and the sandals we were wearing a few weeks ago, too warm for our new winter wardrobe (call it wishful thinking), gloriously sunny one second, torrential downpour the next, and to wear tights or not to wear tights is the only question on our minds, as we head into the trans-seasonal unknown.

Like a lot of things in life – cake, a new haircut, and the perfect man – layers can be paramount. Being from Britain, layering is a 24/7 given, even in the warmer summer months, when it’s still regarded as insanity to venture outside without a trusty cardigan in tow. A simple marriage of function and – more importantly - style offers that much-needed versatility for the in-between seasons such as autumn, and in the countries, like Britain, where it may as well be impossible to determine the unpredictable mood swings of Mother Nature.


The ability to quickly shrug off/throw on layers may as well be a modern survival skill, especially in the dead of winter when we all seem to be in below freezing temperatures one second, and cozy central heating the next. Coats are obviously taken off first, followed by the rest; jackets, knitwear, long-sleeves and scarves in quick succession, taken from over blouses, dresses, jeans and trousers.
Creativity stems from the no longer divided summer and winter clothes, creating an eccentric combination of colours, patterns, prints and texture, while at the same time giving the impression of an elusive effortlessness (unless you have literally picked something up of the floor and thrown it on. It works for me most mornings). Or if you’re ever in doubt, just add tights – works every time.



NB: 'I've been thinking/I've been dreaming' will be the new replacement for 'Sunday Morning Sophisticate (n.)'

Yes, the ombré is gone - so long, goodbye, au revoir and all that. I was actually planning to leave it a few days before I unveiled it, so it looked a bit more 'lived in' (there's nothing I hate more than that I-just-had-my-hair-cut kind of look), but thought what the heck, I'll just get it over and done with. Would you believe I actually had to dye the ends of my hair to get rid of all the dip-dye? I must admit, Tony did a rather excellent job (I think he was secretly a hairdresser in a past life) because you really can't tell. I know it'll probably start to fade, but I'm hoping it'll last until my next hair cut when I can have it all cut off. I also think the fringe is a little on the short side, but hopefully it'll grow a bit and I can keep the bluntness of it maintained myself. 

This is a typical work outfit for me at the moment - I'm virtually living in my leather skirt (my subtle nod to the fetish trend). I also seriously need to stop wearing this cardigan, although to get it off me I think someone would have to surgically remove it from my torso. I can't wait until it's cold so I can start wearing chunky, knitted jumpers, as I think it's still a tad warm yet. 

Also, while we were taking these photos, I bumped into an old friend I used to sit next to in biology back in college. It was lovely seeing her, but at the same time it's so weird seeing people that you used to see and speak to everyday, but haven't seen in so long. 

Hope you're all having a great week!